Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have a 9 week old puppy that I have had for a week. Her poo

Customer Question

I have a 9 week old puppy that I have had for a week. Her poo is quite frothy, but not just watery it has some more solid bits in it, pale creamy in colour and smelly. She is eating james wellbeloved puppy food, dry and is drinking plenty, but has been like this for the whole week. Has she got diarrhea? what should I give her?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, in a puppy with loose stool as you have described could be caused by many different things. A very common cause is intestinal parasites. Other causes are: Infections, ingestion of a foreign boy, dietary indiscretion, etc. to name a few causes.
I would recommend you consider getting her dewormed with family veterinarian. Or, you can buy Panacur (fenbendazole) give it at label dose once a day for 3 days, repeat after 3 weeks. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.
2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet over a period of 1 week.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter