Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have found a tick on my cat and cant get it off with tweezers.

Customer Question

I have found a tick on my cat and can't get it off with tweezers. Should I visit my vet in the morning and it is dangerous to my cat.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, ticks can transmit certain type of diseases. The sooner we are able to remove the tick the less likely they are able to transmit any disease. I would strongly recommend you try to remove the tick today. All you need to do is take the tweezers as close as possible where she is attach on the skin, firmly press on the tick's mouth (not skin) and pull up. She should detach immediately. Clean area where she was attach with an antibacterial soap and apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for 1 week.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!