Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my cat came in today after two days missing very listless and

my cat came in today after two days missing very listless and with loss of appetite. Seems to be breathing normally, can move normally and doesn't seem to have any pain. Is it alright to wait until the morning to take him to the vet? he's about 12 years old.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Euripedes is listless and not eating for you after being gone for 2 days.
I am glad to hear that he is moving normally and is breathing normally.

Please check his gum and tongue color. They should be a nice bubble gum pink. If they are gray/blue or white I would encourage an examination now rather then waiting. If his color is good then I feel better about waiting to have him seen.

I would also check his mouth for any signs of trauma or burns if he will let you.

It is possible that he is exhausted or that he ate something while he was gone that didn't agree with him, thus the lack of an appetite.
But cats that don't eat for several days can get into trouble with liver disease (hepatic lipidosis) as they break down body fats for energy to live and the liver is overwhelmed, so we do want to get him to eat if we can.

At home to try and settle his stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 2.25 to 4.5 kilograms of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 2.25 to 4.5 kilograms of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers, are quite safe and may settle his stomach enough to get him eating. They can be used for several days if necessary.

An hour or so after the acid reducer is given I recommend offering soft foods mixed with warm water or broths to make the food more palatable, and make eating and swallowing more comfortable.

If he is refusing to eat even soft foods you can try offering microwaved meat baby foods or a bland diet of 2/3 boiled, shredded white, skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled, plain, white rice. You can mix in low salt chicken broth or warm water to make the food softer and easier to eat and swallow and get additional fluids in.

If he continues to not eat he should see his veterinarian for an examination, intravenous fluids and supportive care in the morning.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.