Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

One of my Platys has had fry overnight and now looks like she

Customer Question

One of my Platys has had fry overnight and now looks like she has a prolapse. Is this common and can I do anything? Or is euthanasia the only solution?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor wee lass!
Now with animals so small, I am sure you can appreciate that we cannot manually treat prolapses like we would in bigger species (like cows or sheep). So, generally speaking, there are no treatments for this. That said, some prolapse will regress and settle over time (usually due to associated inflammation and swelling subsiding). Therefore, I would suggest that you relocate this lass to your hospital tank and give her a chance to settle before considering euthanasia. If you find that she becomes depressed or doesn't recover in the next few weeks, then euthanasia may be appropriate for her. And if that is the case, I will just note that you can read about how to do so using clove oil here (More Info).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )