Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog Sam just developed weakness in his back

My 11year old male dog Sam just developed weakness in his back legs yesterday, he was running through bushes and them all of a sudden his back legs went from him, my dad had a look at him and when he felt him he felt a thorn under his right hip he pulled it out he said it was an inch long and dog yelped we let him rest yesterday my husband took him out this morning and he got intermittent back leg mainly right weakness today he's been okay I've kept a good eye on him but he's struggling to get down stairs could the thorn have hurt a nerve?? Thanks

Ps he's never had a problem like this before and only sees vet for annual vaccinations he was there 2 months ago and the vet commented that he's in great condition for his age.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is certainly possible that this thorn could have injured a nerve that is cauisng some of this weakness. It may also be that the bruising caused by this thorn could cause this weakness. It is best, ***** ***** to give Sam aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs which will decrease the inflammation that may be affecting the nerve supply or causing Sam this discomfort.

If Sam is stil eating well, this is not an emergency and you can wait until Saturday for your vet to check him.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****