Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

my dog (age approx 12+)has not eaten today and now she is throwing

my dog (age approx 12+)has not eaten today and now she is throwing up white & yellow foamy mucus vomit. if she drinks water she throws it up. i gave her half a zantac but she was sick half an hour later so probably threw this up. she keeps stretching and can't settle. I have been out all day and again all evening but there is no sign of her being sick while I have been out. she has done this before over the last 3 years, twice. the first time there was blood as well. i took her to the vets, she stayed a week (£3000+) they did every test imaginable but found nothing, the second time she stayed a couple of days (£1000+) and again nothing was found. should I make the 25 mile trip to the hospital again or wait it out and see what happens. she made a full recovery both times before
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she lethargic?
2- Any diarrhea?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- How much does she weigh?
5- How many milligrams is the zantac?
6- How many hours since the last time she vomited?
7- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. no - she is anxious, but she is a pretty anxious dog anyway

2. she had a quite loose stool about 7pm but I wouldn't call it diarrhea really

3. not that I know of, as I said she had lots of tests about 3 years ago when she vomited a lot of blood (xray, endoscopy, blood tests etc) but nothing was found. all her needles are up to date and she has been wormed a couple of months ago

4. 2 stone

5. half a 75 milligram tablet, that's what they gave her each time she was in the vet hospital for vomiting

6. 20 minutes, she's done it 4 times since midnight when it started

7. her gums are quite dark red really

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Elise, vomiting and loose stool can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, infections, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. to to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Keep her on Zantac 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Or, she will continue to vomit if she is allowed to drink and eat.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter