Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Can you give human senna tablets to dog /

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now Senna is not something that we use in dogs therefore we have no safety studies or safe doses to use for Angus. Therefore, it would be best not to experiment with this treatment with Angus. Instead, if he is having issues passing feces, then we do have other options that we can use safely with him.

In regards ***** ***** options, we can approach this in two ways. The first means would be to help restore fecal regularity by increasing the fecal fiber/bulk content. This is the angle your vet has suggested by suggesting bran. Other options for this approach that you can add to his food would be canned pumpkin, Peridale (More Info), or a you could add 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil/Benefiber to his diet. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. We do want to offer these with wet food to ease him eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into him (as canned food is 35% water).

Now if bulking up his feces isn't helping, then you may wish to take another approach to this situation. Specifically, you can try to lubricate his guts to facilitate the movement of feces through the GI. To do this, we also have a few options. To start, you can treat him with cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone). This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose (LINK) or mineral oil orally (ideally offer in food or if given via oral syringe then take care to avoid aspiration, since that would cause problems we'd best avoid) as a GI lubricant.

While trying these, you will also want to encourage Angus to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure he have fresh water and you can even offer low sodium chicken broth if he won’t drink. Furthermore, you will want to monitor fecal output. I would advise trying the above measures, but if you aren't seeing feces in the next 24 hours, or Angus begins to vomit or worsens, then you may need to speak to his vet about an enema and have a further discussion regarding internal health issues that could be causing this for Angus. Severe impactions of feces are usually secondary to more serious diseases, so if he doesn't respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, then he may require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )