Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

My cat fell from bedroom window today crying when moved and

Customer Question

My cat fell from bedroom window today crying when moved and not walking on back leg vets said she Ok just got arthritis but I think differently they gave her steroid injection
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Sorry to hear about Flo! Scary for both of you, I'm sure! Did the vet take any x-rays of Flo?

Dr. Scarlett :

She's not moving her rear legs at all or she is trying but just seems painful?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Only right back leg not using no xray said he couldn't feel anything broken but her hips were displaced thought this was down to arthritis but she's crying now

I think you need to take her back in. She needs to be sedated and given a better pain medication than steroids (she can't have an NSAID, but she could have something like buprenorphine) and then have x-rays taken. Some breaks are hard to feel, such as right at the hip joint or in the pelvis or lower spine.

Arthritis doesn't cause a hip dislocation either. If her hip is out of joint, then it needs to be fixed--either with surgery to replace it or, more likely, a procedure called an FHO--Femoral Head Ostectomy, where the ball is removed from the femur and no longer rubs on the bone. Cats do very well afterwards and can run and jump once they are healed.

But you definitely need to get her x-rayed to know exactly what is going on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks knew she wasn't right

Please let me know what you find out! I'm worried about the little girl!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Me too he said her hips were displaced not dislocated though

I'm not sure what the difference is between displaced and dislocated! It might be worth a second opinion, if you aren't comfortable with the vet you initially saw.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Got appointment in morn if she's no different

Sounds good. Keep me posted!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Didn't xray flo said nothing broken gave an injection for pain said she's just bruised x

How is Flo today? Does she seem to be improving? I'm still surprised they didn't take an x-ray, so hopefully she is starting to get around much better.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There finally xraying her tomorrow cos she's not improved they now think her pelvis is broken

Poor Flo! That was my concern or that there is a fracture near her hip. Unless it is a mid-shaft fracture and the bone is moveable, it is easy to miss a fracture.

Please make sure they sedate her for the x-rays, as the positioning could make her even more painful and she certainly doesn't need that.

In the meantime, I would keep her confined to a crate for most of the time, so that any breaks don't move around and hopefully she will be a bit more comfortable.

Keep me posted!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Flo was put to sleep her pelvis was broken and cos of her age she's leaking calcium from bones thank u for all Ur help x

I am so sorry to hear about Flo. I wish they would have taken an x-ray right away to spare her from several days of suffering, but I'm glad you persevered in getting the correct diagnosis for her. My thoughts are with you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank u wish I'd been more forcefull with them

You trust your vet to do the right thing. At least you finally got the answer you needed to help Flo.