Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog was normal then he became irritable, shaking is head

Customer Question

My dog was normal then he became irritable, shaking is head and licking his lips and wouldn't drink any water, he had slight foaming to the mouth too? This happened within seconds so I don't really know why he has just started doing this, he is very quiet now and hiding behind a chair?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely fashion. I suspect that many vets felt that Muffin's symptoms were too nonspecific to comment on intelligently. Licking the lips and what sounds like hypersalivation is seen in nauseated dogs. The etiology of the nausea remains unclear unless you can think of something Muffin licked or ingested that upset him. I would consider an envenomation with a flying insect or spider as well because Muffin was head shaking and irritable - indications of discomfort.

It's likely that Muffin has already remissed and treatment would be unnecessary. His eating is a good prognostic sign. I would appreciate an update on his condition and would like to know if new symptoms have arisen. I understand that I'm late to the party and so if my input isn't pertinent anymore please contact [email protected] for a return of your deposit.