Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

Hello I have a hen about one year old and about four days ago

Hello I have a hen about one year old and about four days ago I noticed that she wasn't eating .Yesterday she seemed to be eating a little but she is not right I have felt for her crop but it seems empty,she has lost weight and has problems with her balance I've looked for mites and can't find any need to find out what's as she has before she gets any weaker
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I'm sorry to read of your hen's condition. The symptoms she is showing are shared by practically every poultry disease, so I'll have to ask a series of questions to help us identify her problem. Is she still laying eggs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi no she not laying at the moment and has not for awhile but I also have another not laying so it didn't seem unusual. She doesn't seem to be egg bound.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Okay, thank you. Does she seem to stand more upright than usual, like a penguin?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No quite the opposite she is sitting down a lot today , her eyelids keep closing as if she wants to sleep also she seems to be twitching her head a lot today she still only pecking at food so I've separated her so I can monitor how much food is actual been eaten if anything
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Okay, thank you. The next step would be to feel her abdomen to see if you can feel any swelling or doughy masses inside.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No swellings no lumps that I can feel.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. Have you noticed any changes in the color or consistency of her droppings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They are a green white colour and very runny.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. The two symptoms that are most diagnostic both point to two conditions, colibacillosis and Lymphoid leukosis. Colibacillosis is somewhat responsive to treatment with highly nutritious warm foods like pancakes, scrambled eggs, oatmeal and corn bread, along with keeping the bird warm and giving a supplement containing vitamin E. Antibiotics can be effective if started very early in the course of the illness, Tylocin or erythromycin being among the antibiotics of choice, but there are many resistant strains around now, so a culture and sensitivity test would be recommended to choose the most effective antibiotic. Lymphoid leukosis is not treatable, and the only way to definitively diagnose it, besides the symptoms, is a post-mortem examination. If you're not squeamish, I can describe the findings of a post-mortem examination for you, or you can google "lymphoid leukosis in chickens" for a number of articles describing the disease and post-mortem findings in detail. I wish I had a happier answer for you, but judging from your bird's symptoms, the two diseases above are the most likely reasons for her condition. If you should have further questions, please let me know.
Kind regards, *****