Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Our 12 year old male dog is just recovering from a infection

Our 12 year old male dog is just recovering from a nasty infection in his prostate. After lots of antibiotics, anti inflamatories and one chemical castration injection, our vet is now recommending that he is castrated by operation. As Blue is really elderly we are very concerned about this. What is your opinion on castration in elderly dogs? Many Thanks, Ann
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

My opinion of castrating elderly dogs is that it's not necessary UNLESS there is a documented problem that can be repaired with castration. The recent infection he experienced is one of those good reasons. From people who have experienced a prostate infection many would agree that castration might be better than the pain and stinging that goes along with the infection they experienced. Since he has had this problem his prostate is "primed" for another infection at any point. If he has no other underlying health problems and your vet has performed anesthesia on older dogs then I would strongly recommend surgical castration in Blue.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan