Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a Mediterranean tortoise who is 57 years old. He was

Customer Question

I have a Mediterranean tortoise who is 57 years old. He was given to me 43 years ago. He still isn't eating his favourite food Iceberg lettuce. The weather is really warm and that usually makes him eat. |I have also given him a bath which he loves. For the past 4 years before hibernation the vet has given him an injection. I am really worried about him. Can you help me please.

My e mail address is *****@******.*** and my name is Vi.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome, my name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Tell me has he not eaten properly since he came out of hibernation earlier this year?

JACUSTOMER-8trnzrx3- :

No

Scott Nimmo :

Ok, well he is not young now but this is a situation you do encounter now and again with tortoises, if he is not showing any other symptoms then I often found a vitamin B12 injection gets them going again. This being the case you should have your vet check him over as there is little you can hope to do on your own. That said the B12 injection often gets them going ...

JACUSTOMER-8trnzrx3- :

That's great but there is nothing else I can myself to encourage him

Scott Nimmo :

Sorry, I have never known owners to be able to do much in this sort of situation. Once the B12 injection gets them going they often then eat well and build themselves up again ...

JACUSTOMER-8trnzrx3- :

ok thanks

Scott Nimmo :

No problem, good luck with him ...