Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

re Guinea pigs My son & D-in-L have a week old baby In their

Customer Question

re Guinea pigs My son & D-in-L have a week old baby In their lounge they have a huge cage with 3 Guinea Pigs In what respect will these 'pigs' have on a baby - if at all?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to see that you have been waiting a while for an answer and I'd like to help if you still need help.

Healthy guinea pigs shouldn't pose any harm to people.
However if you have allergic tendencies or asthma that run in your family I would either move the baby or the guinea pigs into another room. Guinea pig dander is highly allergenic and tends to create respiratory problems in people with allergies or asthma. I do not recommend that guinea pigs be kept in sleeping areas in those situations.
I recommend that your son and daughter in law consult with their pediatrician regarding the baby and their guinea pigs.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.