Dr. Jill
Dr. Jill, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years of veterinary experience
25745582

my mare was served on th6 july [2013 when should she foal

Customer Question

my mare was served on th6 july [2013 when should she foal please [worried ] ?
Expert:  Dr. Jill replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Jill :

Hi, I'm Dr. Jill and I'd be happy to help with your question. The average gestation length in full size horses is 340 days, give or take (~320 - 370 days is a normal range). If she was bred on July 6th, 2013, that would put her currently at 346 days.

Dr. Jill :

Was the pregnancy confirmed by your veterinarian at 14 days or later? Also, any signs of impending birth such as filling of her udder with milk?

JACUSTOMER-d8d0brgu- :

yes she ran wax from teets yesterday udder looks like it has filled up and yes it was confirmed at 14 days by vet it is her first foal and sorry i said she was 2 [but she is 4 ] i hit the wrong key ] what should i do now just wait or get my vet ??? very worried

Dr. Jill : Thank you for the additional information. It is very helpful! As long as the mare is relatively comfortable and eating/pooping/etc normally, I don't think you have anything to be worried about right now. The foal will trigger the birthing process when it is fully developed...likely in the next few days. She is still well within the normal range. I have had mares with normal foals a month overdue...so while I know it's hard to wait, she is still well within a normal gestation period at this time.
Dr. Jill : I hope this helps! If you still have questions or concerns, please let me know. I would be happy to continue the conversation.