Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

Hi, Im wondering if you can help me. My cat caught and injured

Hi, I'm wondering if you can help me. My cat caught and injured a baby bird in the garden earlier this evening, approximately 8.15pm. I managed to intercept before she had killed the little bird. Bird is still alive, however she has i believe two puncture wounds from cat's teeth or claws on one side of her head. I believe my cat drew blood but bird is not currently bleeding. She is resting in my hand. Sleeping mostly but does open her eyes when she hears noise. I don't believe she can fly yet, however she trotted off my bed onto the windowsill and then onto.the floor earlier. Can you please advise me on the most humane action to take for this little creature? Thank you, Ruth.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello Ruth, I'm Dr. Bob. Thank you for being the compassionate sort of person who takes the time and makes the effort to rescue a small helpless animal, I applaud you.
The little bird's wounds need to be cleaned up. 3% hydrogen peroxide is an excellent disinfectant and can be used twice daily to clean the wounds. Saturate a cotton ball of facial tissue with the peroxide and gently dab it onto the injured areas. Offer fresh cool water in a shallow dish or with an eye dropper. Dry cat food made into a mash the consistency of a banana smoothie will provide the nutrients most species of baby birds need. If you have a pet store or a bird breeder nearby, the best food to obtain and feed is starter food. This, too, is mixed with water to make a smoothie consistency. The best step to take next is to try to find a wild life rehabilitator. Your local veterinary offices, the ASPCA, Humane Society, or state fish and game office should be aboe to provide the name and location of the closest rehabilitators. It is actually illegal to keep any of the species of wild songbirds longer than 48 hours, even for licensed veterinarians, so veterinary clinics generally know to whom to refer these little ones. If I can be of any more help, or if you still have questions, please let me know.
Warm regards, *****