How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 29808
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now

Hi, we are looking to buy a puppy and have put a deposit on

Customer Question

Hi, we are looking to buy a puppy and have put a deposit on a 6 week old female miniature dachshund.

At the weekend, the breeder called us and said that she is making a bit of a snuffly noise when feeding but when she took her to the vet, he said she was fine and heart lungs healthy etc.

She is very active and gaining weight the same as the rest of the litter.

The breeder has advised that she will take her back for a second opinion at 8 weeks.

We heard the noise and I really dont think we would have noticed it if the breeder hadn't pointed it out and believe she is just trying to be really honest with us.

We are slightly concerned at what to do as if it does end up leading onto a condition it probably wont be covered on insurance as its from birth but the vet has given her all clear at the mo.

What would you advise? REally dont want to pull out but also have got to be sensible

Thanks
Ross
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely fashion. My advice is to allow the breeder to take Mable back for a second opinion in two weeks. The tincture of time will either take care of the snuffling or it will persist or perhaps worsen at which time a diagnosis will be easier to make. I would prefer to leave a pup with its litter until at least 8 weeks of age in any event to allow for proper socialization to both other dogs and people.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dr Salkin

Thanks for your reply.

We are due to pick up at at week 9 so that falls in line with your recommendation.

If the vet doesn't make a diagnosis, will they still record the symptoms on file? Insurance is our biggest concern

Cheers
Ross
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
The insurance company won't be aware of the breeder's vet's attentions. As the policy holder, only your visits to a vet are pertinent.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.