Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 10 year old spaniel has had very liquid yellow stoolsand

My 10 year old spaniel has had very liquid yellow stoolsand a slight temperature for over 2 weeks. the vet has given him kaogel and oxytets but it is just as bad. I am waiting until tomorrow for 3rd stool sample to be sent for culture and sens and check for parasites. he is still eating and drinking as normal. he has been drinking from a fountain that is used by ducks and rats. what can I do while waiting for results.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What is his rectal temperature?
2- Any other symptoms besides the diarrhea?
3- Has he been dewormed?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

His temperature is 39.4 no other symptoms and he is bright and eating quite well (mostly chicken and rice and a little DD dog food) he was last dewormed April.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Jennifer, he has a low grade fever. As you already know diarrhea is not a disease but a symptom of either primary disorders affecting the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. The yellow color stool is seen when the intestines are overactive. As far as causes, there are many. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body. Instead, I would discuss with your veterinarian about starting him on a medication called Metronidazole (flagyl).

2- No food or water for 8-10 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours discuss with your vet about doing blood work, xrays or an abdominal ultrasound to take a look at what is happening in the gastrointestinal tract.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter