Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Hi I have an ill horse thats been diagnosed with colic could

Customer Question

Hi I have an ill horse that's been diagnosed with colic could the cause possibly be from
Contaminated,toxic hayledge.?
Linda
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Linda and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Yes, comtaminated hayledge could certainly cause a colic in Lindsey. The name "colic" means a digestive disturbance. This could be due to bad feed, to a spasmodic colic, an intestinal obstruction or infectious cause. It is hard to know what may have lead to this colic that Lindsey has been through but if she ingested this prior to the episode, there is a good chance that this is the problem. You did not say if this was resolved or if this is still going on but most colics are due to spasms that resolve quickly with minor treatment. If this is still ongoing, this contaminated feed may be the cause.

Does that make sense to you. Linda?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply Dr.Loretta. The young horse is now fully recovered after major surgery. She went on to box rest and then to rehabilitation but, unfortunately her career as a Racehorse and possible Broodmare have been compromised due to the surgery. The Laboratory testing of the Hayledge gave very high counts of Mould and the pH results were 4.1
As, this was the only feed she digested in the 24hrs prior to her Colic do you think this was the cause ?
She was on her usual paper bedding with acess to fresh drinking water and no other substance went into her stomach.
In the morning she was a healthy, energic young horse. Was fed a slice of mouldy Hayledge and another very wet mouldy Hayledge and the next day was rolling in agony with Colic. Can you give your interpretation ? Please Many Thanks, Linda.
Ok, that makes more sense, Linda. It is certainly possible and probable that the moldy hayledge contributed to the colic. The fermentation of this in the stomach and intestinal tract will cause a serious digestive disturbance causing extreme pain. This causes the rolling which will cause the stomach to twist. In this case, surgery to replace the stomach is mandatory for Lindsey to survive. You are very lucky, Linda, because this procedure is very tricky and the post op care will determine the outcome in many cases.

Unless the surgeon foundan obstruction or enterolith that could cause this, this is the most likely cause for Lindsey's condition. I believe, Linda, that the surgeon is the best person to determine this since they saw what was causing this from the inside,.

Thank you so much, Linda, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I truly hope Lindsey will get through this.

Have a wonderful day!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Your help is invaluable Dr. Loretta, thank you. The surgeons examination revealed a caeco-caecal intussusception within the apex of the caecum involuted within the body of the caecum . So does that identify with the Colic and would this Colic have been brought on from ingesting mouldy Hayledge.
My last question on this subject so thank you again.
WOW!! Linda, that makes a huge difference. In most cases, the cause is unknown but this moldy hayledge could have caused abnormal motility causing the intussusception but there are other factors that could cause this as well.

I know, Linda, that you want a clear answer but in Lindsey's case, there is not any way to know if this abnormla motility was caused by the feed or other factors. It is too much of a coincidence, however, that the intussesception occured directly after this feed, Linda.

This LINK may help.

I hope Lindsey is still doing well post op...with this condition, she would have died without surgical intervention. You did great for her, Linda.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Loretta you answered my questions precisely and I am very much appreciative. I do have another question on another horse about sarcoids but, I presume I must start the process again? Kind regards Linda.
I am so glad, Linda, I could help. If you have another questionj, please start this again and ask for me....I will get back to you as soon as possible. I will be doing some traveling today but will try to help as best I can..

Thanks again, Linda,....I hope Lindsey is doing well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Lindsey is doing well. I will get back to you about the other horse in a week or so. Please use Lindsey in your recommendations for future clients.
Kind Regards, Linda
That is great Linda....what a relief this must be for you!

I hope you and Lindsey have a great day!!