Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My English Bull Terrier has a green mucus on his right eye,

My English Bull Terrier has a green mucus on his right eye, he has had this now for about 5 months i have taken him to the vet on various occasions and was proscribed eye drops etc. but nothing is working. His eye is red aswell, Ive also been cleaning his eye with eye saline to see if that helps but still the mucus keeps appearing??

Help???
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Bob.
What eye tests has the vet performed so far?
Or, no eye tests, they just have prescribed various eye drops?

Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Andy,

She performed an eye test using dye on his eye to check that his tear duck wasn't blocked, and it wasn't.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Okay Sarah,
The eye stain test, would also help to check for any corneal ulcers, like a scratch on the surface of the eye ball.

What next?
A schirmer tear test needs to be done. I know that sounds awkward, because there is a lot of discharge in the eyes. A tear test evaluates for KCS (keratoconjunctivitis sicca) or dry eye. KCS, is when the normal "ingredients" that make up tears are missing. This results in a chronic eye discharge that is thick and irregular and requires a specific type of a eye drop and is life long.

The most common eye tests performed by your veterinarian:

Eye Stain Test for Ulcers
.
Tear test for Dry Eye
.
Glaucoma Eye Pressure Test

The eye stain test will be important for this breed and at this age. Make sure you do not put any eye drops or saline in the eyes before this vet visit.

Also, the vet needs to look closer at the eyelids. Sometimes, eyelid problems can cause a problem with chronic discharge. That includes issues like distichia, where a irregular eyelash is pointing inward and repeatedly rubbing against the eyeball.

Common causes for any type of eye discharge include:
- Corneal ulceration (i.e. eye scratch, trauma to surface of eye)
- Conjunctivitis
- As a component of an upper respiratory infection
- Allergies
- Eyelid problems or irregular eyelashes

Sarah, I would even consider getting a second opinion, or if available in your area, request a consult with a veterinary ophthalmologist.
I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy