Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

My 2 shih tsus only eat all their food if it is chicken and

My 2 shih tsus only eat all their food if it is chicken and boiled rice, they don't seem keen on tray or tinned meat and won't touch the dried food. Can I feed them this all the time or do they need a supplement added. I am a pensioner and can't really afford to keep throwing out untouched or half eaten meals!
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I understand your concern over whether chicken and rice are a complete diet for your dogs, and you're right to be concerned. A few other ingredients will, however, make the diet one that will provide all the nutrients they need. Here is a simple recipe for homemade chicken and rice based dog food:
6 cups water
1 pound ground, shredded or chopped chicken meat
2 cups brown rice
1 teaspoon rosemary
8 oz (1/2 of a 16 oz frozen package) broccoli, carrots and cauliflower mix
Place the water, ground turkey, rice, and rosemary into a large sauce pan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Add frozen vegetables, and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Turn off heat, and allow to cool on stove top. Refrigerate or freeze until using.
Cooking the ingredients together causes the meat juices to penetrate the vegetables and rice flavoring them. If the dogs tend to pick out the meat from the mixture when using shredded or pieces of chicken, switch to ground chicken.
This is a balanced diet for dogs who are omnivores, needing a fair amount of vegetable matter in their diets to keep them healthy. Hopefully, your dogs will adapt quickly to the added ingredients. Turkey, beef, fish or any other meat can be substituted for the chicken, but whether or not your dogs will go along with the menu change is up to them! If you should have further questions, please let me know.
Kind regards, *****