Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have a dog with diarrhea.My other dog had the problem 5 days

Customer Question

I have a dog with diarrhea.My other dog had the problem 5 days ago and the vet charged me £95 to treat her so I cant go back.Will a course of antibiotics cure this-as it seems to be a bug they have caught from each other and this is what I was given for the first dog.Both dogs are full of energy and dont seem ill at all!Will Kaoline mixture help and could I use human treatments like Arret in smaller amounts of course ?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, diarrhea can be caused by dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not stop the diarrhea giving medication. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24-48 hours, have her checked by your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!