Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Hi I think my 1yr old my be pregnant she was in season

Customer Question

Hi I think my 1yr old bitch my be pregnant she was in season around 23rd May, I took her to a family BBQ and my sister had there dog there, there was 3 males and never left her alone, one jump on her but couldn't get to her in time, not sure if they mated or not as all happened so quickly. The past 2 weeks she has been very sleepy, quite clingy at times and not into having her food (she will go a few days not having her food, then 1 day she had a can and half of her food), her stomach feels very hard and looks quite big as she is a black Yorkshire terrier x. Her nipples are all out (even the ones at the top) and are quite dark grey.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Poor little Bella could certianly be pregnant. If she was in the Estrus part of her cycle, this is when she is receptive and will allow the males to breed her. It also may be that Bella is showing a false pregnancy. In this case, she will follow all the signs of being pregnant until day 70 of her gestation period. The normal gestation period is 65 days. It is best, at this time, to have Bella Ultrasounded since pregnancy can be determined after 21 days and if she is, you will have to allow her to have the puppies since we have no safe way to abort them.

If she has a false pregnancy, this will all resolve after 70 days.These signs you are seeing are typical for hormonal chnages but this can be pregnancy or a false pregnancy...no way to tell for sure without an xray or Ultrasound.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta