Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 3 year old sprocker spaniel has what looks like an infection

My 3 year old sprocker spaniel has what looks like an infection at the base of her vagina, a discharge and is overgroomlng herself. it looks like warts at the base of the vagina. can you help
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she spayed?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- Can you describe the appearance of the discharge?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes she is spayed. Symptoms have been there for two weeks and the discharge is clear and slight

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Sheelagh, it sounds like has vaginitis; her licking is making it worst. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking her vagina. For tonight place a t-shirt to cover her vagina.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Where can I buy the antibiotics from

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Topical antibiotics can be bought over the counter in any chemist (pharmacy).