Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

hi this afternoon a returned home to find that my female

Customer Question

hi

this afternoon a returned home to find that my female rottie who is 9 yrs was limping, then this went to more of loss of both back legs, or very weak at least?

I can tell you that she suffers from ear infections and has at the moment an infection that I have been treating with ear drops for mites, she has been shaking her head and I was going to take her to the vets if it didn't clear up but now I think ive got a more serious problem??

thanks in adavance
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she limping in one back leg or weak in both back legs?
2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No vomitting
Eats and drinks
No noise of pain just seems to have lost ability to walk or get up on her own. Can the ear mites do this?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Is the problem mainly on the back legs or all 4 legs?
2- Does she have a head tilt?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just back legs but front seem to be getting weaker

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Gordon, in response to your question the weakness you are seeing in the back legs is not related to ear mites. Given the quick onset we need to consider neuromuscular problems like a pinched nerve along the back as result of a bulging disc. Less likely we can sometimes see weakness in the extremities with systemic diseases like infections, tumors, thromboembolic (stroke like), etc.
Unfortuntely Gordon in this case not much I can recommend for you to try at home. Maddie is going to need a hands on examination, xrays and blood work as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. Highly recommend having her checked as soon as you can by a veterinarian. If related to a pinch nerve the sooner we are able to start treatment the better the prognosis.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter