Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

MY CAT IS BREATHING VERY FAST

MY CAT IS BREATHING VERY FAST
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

For how long has Clancy's breathing been irregular?

Is Clancy breathing with his mouth open?

Any other recent changes? STill eating and drinking okay?

Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just started yesterday. his mouth is closed. still eatingand drinking ok

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Great Irene.
That helps us to determine if this was a emergency or not.

However, cats generally do not breathe faster unless they are stressed, in pain, nauseated (which is less likely if eating fine), or some other systemic change.

For example, being hyperthyroid (elevated thyroid hormone) could have an impact. Or, even having a urinary tract infection, with no other symptoms.

But, without question, if the breathing is definitely changed we just don't know if it could be related to a primary lung issue as well. We do diagnose a lot of asthma and bronchitis complications in cats.

So, this is definitely worth a vet visit. I would definitely suspect some basic testing to include a blood profile and maybe some chest x-rays depending how the lungs sound on examination.
I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy