Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My shih tzu puppy keeps eating sycamore seeds. Are they to

Customer Question

My shih tzu puppy keeps eating sycamore seeds. Are they toxic.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
According to the ASPCA poison plant list, the UC Davis poison plant list and my other sources, no part of the sycamore tree is toxic to dogs. This is not the case, however, for horses who have developed a myopathy (muscle disease) after ingesting the hypoglycin A present in those seeds. Because there's a paucity of information concerning hypoglycin A in dogs, I would be more comfortable knowing that Bella doesn't have access to sycamore seeds in spite of sycamore trees not appearing on poisonous plant lists.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.