Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Morning We recently adopted a rescue ***** ***** x terrier

Morning

We recently adopted a rescue ***** ***** x terrier (small) aged 8 months.

He currently has an upset stomach which forcing him to eat grass as he attempts to settle it. There is no diarrhea or vomiting, there has been intermittent for several days but worse overnight last night.

Otherwise he seems alert and hydrated, wet nose, skin falling normally. He gnashes his teeth at nothing and I'm concerned this is a reaction to pain?

Thanks for the help.

Gary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, Gary. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Can you tell me if Chilli is eating on his own despite these signs?

Have you noticed any belly soreness or tenseness if you press on his stomach?

Has he had any changes to his feces (like black discoloration)?

Could he have eaten something he should have (ie toys, bones, trash, stones, etc)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. B

No problem.

He is off of his food only managing a small amount yesterday evening, I've also noticed that he doesn't want to drink any water.

His feces seem consistent and normal, although he has been going more regularly and appears to strain when going.

He's constantly sniffing around and picking up things, unnoticed, when walking particularly pine cones, it is possible he has ingested something? His breathing is a little laboured after he attempted to vomit this morning.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Gary,

Oh Chilli!
Now with young dogs, we do always have to be vigilant and cautious when we see signs of this nature. As I am sure you can appreciate, there are a range of conditions that can cause GI upset and induce these signs (ie bacterial infections, viruses, pancreatitis, etc).

Still based on the signs you are seeing with Chilli, I would be very concerned about a primary GI based issue despite the lack of vomiting or diarrhea. As you noted, the grass eating is a sign we often see with nauseous dogs, as is the retching you noted more recently. More specifically, with his age, his lack of appetite/drinking, the straining/trying to pass feces, and the teeth gnashing (often a sign of belly pain), I would very concerned that he has ingested something that he should not have. It may have been ingested a few days ago and it was in the stomach. But his worsening could be a sign that the item is either starting to traumatize the stomach or potentially could have passed into the intestines where it may be stuck.

So, while I cannot see if you had appreciated any belly soreness, discomfort or tenseness; I'd be concerned that with all the other signs that we may have something in his GI that should not be here. So, while I will often outline home supportive care for dogs with stomach upset, in this case I think it is prudent to just get Chilli checked this morning. Most vets to have Saturday morning surgeries (usually starting in the next 30 minutes to an hours), and I do think it is worth phoning as soon as they are open and getting him evaluated (since we don't want to leave this over the weekend). The vet can have a good feel of his belly +/- an xray to determine if there is something in his GI. Depending on their findings, they can address this appropriately for him (ie if its in the stomach they may be able to use their endoscope to remove it, if its in the GI then surgery may be required, or if they see its something that should be able to pass then they can start medical management to help him do so).

So, in this case, his signs are very suggestive of a potential foreign body. And in this case, we'd want him checked this morning without delay. So, do give your vet a ring to get him seen or if you don't have a vet for Chilli yet then you can check the RCVS Register (HERE). And if you need emergency care, you can also find your local Vets Now who are open all nights/weekends here (LINK). In any case, we want a wee check up now to address this for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )