How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 20906
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now

We have a great dane puppy 10 weeks old - born Apr 13th; Parvo

Customer Question

We have a great dane puppy 10 weeks old - born Apr 13th; Parvo virus vaccination May 26th; Eurican L + Eurican DHppi vaccinations on June 11th; next vaccination due July 7th.

Is it safe to bring her out for socialising before her third vaccination? We don't want to take any risks.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

JACUSTOMER-8m5l4fdd- :

Go ahead Scott

Scott Nimmo :

This is a bit of a gamble I would not like to take if this was my pup. In some cases there would now be adequate immunity at this age but in others there would still be a risk so you would be best to wait until the third vaccine.

Scott Nimmo :

The level of immunity you now have would depend on how much immunity the pup got from her mother in the first few days of life.

JACUSTOMER-8m5l4fdd- :

Is 7th July about right for the third vaccine or does it seem longer than necessary? It is the date put on the Health Care Card by the Vet who was looking after the pups as a litter

Scott Nimmo :

Of course if you were to socialise her with people in an area where there were strictly no unvaccinated dogs present and where no unvaccinated dogs had been then there would be very little risk.

Scott Nimmo :

No that sounds about right, the first vaccin eis the one which could be in doubt immunity wise so hence the other two

Scott Nimmo :

Your vet is just being extra careful

JACUSTOMER-8m5l4fdd- :

OK Scott. Thanks very much for the advice

Scott Nimmo :

No problem, good luck with your Dane, my father bred them so we always had a few about the house when I was younger :-)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thnaks Scott. I was more than satisfied with your answers and rated the answer accordingly.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Thanks very much Anthony ...

Regards,

Scott