Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My miniature Dachshund (6yrs old ) has been holding his tail

Customer Question

My miniature Dachshund (6yrs old ) has been holding his tail tight between his legs since Tuesday - his gait seems to be unsteady. He is eating & passing urine ok - bowels are open though only small amounts passed daily. He does'nt appear to be in pain but looks very sad. I would appreciate your thoughts on this please. Many thanks *****
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Pauline and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely Ollie has suffered an injury to a disc in his back. This is very common in older dachsunds because of their conformation. Since Ollie does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for his odd behavior. Even though, Pauline, he does not seem to be in pain, the tail between his legs and unsteady gait tells us that he is experiencing pain and discomfort. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, he will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when Ollie jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way.

The best thing you can do for now as long as Ollie is eating well now, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing his pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow him to jump on or off anything, Pauline, or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize.

It is best to have your vet examine Ollie, Pauline, to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Does that make sense to you, Pauline?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for your advice - I had thought the same actually. Will arrange an appointment at our local vets on Monday.

Most grateful

Pauline

Excellent, Pauline...this is always a risk with the mini dachsunds. I am sure your sweet Ollie will do well. It is good for you to know the signs now.

Thank you so much, Pauline, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I will send you a follow up in a few days to see how Ollie is doing and if I can answer any other questions.

Have a wonderful day!

Good morning, Pauline. This is Dr. Loretta checking in on Ollie. Is he doing any better? Thanks!