Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 9 year old chocolate Labrador had a raw hide chew on Friday

My 9 year old chocolate Labrador had a raw hide chew on Friday 19th June, approx 2-3hours later I noticed he had a swelling under lip at front of his mouth. I've had a look as best that he will let me and can't see any cut or bleeding, he is still full of beans, eating and drinking fine, any suggestions? Or advice? Thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now it sounds like Scooby has just experienced a wee soft tissue trauma from catching his lip with his chew (just as people do with sharp crisps). Rawhide doesn't tend to be a material that splinters and gets stuck in the mucosa. Therefore, if he is comfortable, eating/drinking normally, there is no need to intervene and instead you can just monitor.

If you had seen a cut, then you could flush his mouth with cool water a few times daily. If you had suspected that this was a bee sting instead of being related to the chew, then a low dose of Piriton could be useful (4mg up to twice daily for a dog his size). If he was in desperate pain with this, then dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, etc) from his vet would be indicated. But again, if Scooby is comfortable, then I would just advise keeping an eye on this and we'd expect it to settle down over the next 24-48 hours. If it hasn't by Monday, then you may want to follow up with his vet at that point for a short course of a dog safe anti-inflammatory but under te circumstances monitoring is all that would be indicated at this stage.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )