Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog has been exposed to permethrin, propiconale and white

Customer Question

My dog has been exposed to permethrin, propiconale and white spirit. He is very tired and not his usual self! The products were in a fence paint!

Do i need to do anything as I watched him eat some grass with the product (fence paint) on it??

Paul
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, Paul. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now most paints contain nasty components that do carry toxicity risks for our pets. The reason is because they are a cocktail of chemicals that are designed to deter wood parasites, fungi, and preserve the wood against all adverse conditions. So, we never want to let our dogs near these products when they are wet and his eating the grass is less then ideal and something we do have to be concerned about.

Now in regards to the components you have listed, the first is actually a product commonly found in dog flea spot-ons, the middle (which I think you may have misspelled there) is an anti-fungal agent that dogs can tolerate significant doses without adverse issues, and then we have the white spirit (our biggest concern).

Now since you have noted that your lad is already showing adverse signs, this means absorption is likely already occurred. This means prevention steps like inducing vomiting or administering activated charcoal (more info) may be of limited benefit at this stage. Therefore, it will be a case of close monitoring and supportive care at this point for any adverse signs as they arise.

Now if your lad has only had a small volume, then it is possible that we may just see mild signs of lethargy and GI upset (ie drooling, appetite loss, vomiting, diarrhea). If you do just see these signs with monitoring, then you can offer a light diet option (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, etc) +/- an antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose)).

While addressing this, you will want to keep a close eye for more serious signs that can be seen with moderate and severe ingestions. Specifically, the signs we'd need to watch for and seek urgent vet care for will be muscle tremors, slowing of his breathing rate (<20 breaths per minute), wobbliness/staggering, or seizures. If any of these signs develop, then we'd want him to his vet urgently so that appropriate treatment can be administered (ie IV fluids to flush the material out, muscle relaxants, anti-seizure medication, etc).

Overall, this fence paint does have some serious chemicals that can be harmful if Sid has ingested a large dose. And since he is already showing some lethargy, we do want to keep a close eye on him. If he develops signs of GI upset then we'd want to provide a light diet +/- an antacid to settle his stomach. But if you see any of the neurological or respiratory signs I have noted, then those would support a significant toxicity and we'd want him to see his vet immediately for supportive care.

Finally, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. Even if they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (HERE) to find your local vets or Vets Now (LINK) who are open all nights/weekends.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )