Dr. Gwen
Dr. Gwen, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years experience in emergency medicine, zoo, exotic, and wildlife medicine.
21470562

Hallo, I have a Springer pup 9 weeks old..very active today..he

Hallo, I have a Springer pup 9 weeks old..very active today..he has what seems to be rapid breathing tonight. He is drinking ok, ate well and bowels fine.he always likes to lie with his head stretched out . He is very tired and ready to sleep but has been out and passed urine ok. Is it unusual at this age to have a rapid heart rate and breathing. He had his vet check and first vaccination and all was ok. He hasn't been coughing or vomiting. Can you advise me...his breathing rate is I think 40-50 breaths per minute and isn't noisy or laboured he isn't panting just fast shallow breathing.

Many thanks, Kate
Expert:  Dr. Gwen replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Gwen :

Hello, welcome to Just Answer. I will try to answer your questions and help Milo. Are you able to wake him up at all or is he completely limp and non-responsive?

Customer: Yes he is responsive and got up to greet me when I went to check on him just now.
Dr. Gwen :

Ok, thanks for the added information. If he has been extremely active and hot, he may just be exhausted and warm. Puppies will often play extremely hard and wear themselves out. You can try moving him to a cooler area or placing a fan in the room to help him cool off. Has there been any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: No, his bowels have been fine and he hasn't been sick. He has been eating well and has seemed well in himself all day.
Dr. Gwen :

I think it would be a good idea to just keep an eye on him, be sure he has access to lots of fresh, cool water, and I suspect in a little while he will be back to his normal self.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much. I needed the reassurance and am happy to carry on observing him. You have been very helpful.
Expert:  Dr. Gwen replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome, enjoy the puppyhood and take a lot of pictures! They grow up too fast.