Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My mare has a swelling about the size of a tennis ball on her

Customer Question

My mare has a swelling about the size of a tennis ball on her front leg at the top at the back, . It has been there for 3 days and has reduced little in size.No sign of a bite or the skin being broken. She appears to be in no discomfort or to be lame. We have hosed it with cold water and have not ridden her. Do you have any ideas re what it could be? She is 20 years old.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

there are a couple things that this mass could be. One is a lipoma which is a fatty tumor that is benign and harmless. If you can get your fingers all around this, this may be the cause. This could also be an inflamed Lymph node due to either trauma or an injury causing this node to be inflammed. It is a good sign that Melrose is not lame or that this mass is not painful. If anything, it may be scar tissue form an injury that you may not have been aware of.

You are doing all the right things by hosing this and it may help to apply colld compresses to this area to help decrease this mass. In most cases, this is a benign lesion that will not harm Melrose and would not require treatment.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** think an anti inflamatory might help?
Yes, Katy....it may help if this is either traumatic or inflammatory to give something such as Banamine or Butazolidin every 12 hrs. This may help reduce the mass. I would also still recommend cold compresses just in case. There is also a chance that this could be an allergic reaction to an insect bit and this will help.

Thank you so much, Katy, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I am sure Melrose will do well with you caring for her.

Have a wonderful day!