Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

I have a 14year old femail Jack Russel who had acute Diarhea

Customer Question

I have a 14year old femail Jack Russel who had acute Diarhea over night .Although not since 8.am but is very lethargic and not a "happy dog" is there anything I can do and should I be overly concerned?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.I am sorry to hear about this concern for Bonnie.

Well, at this age, I am concerned. Unless there is a simple explanation, like Bonnie was given something to eat that is not normal for her recently (new dog treat, new bag of food, human food).

My primary concerns for diarrhea with or without blood include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also.
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases.
- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer.

To help diarrhea you can give some pepto-bismol, but I strongly discourage using it repeatedly as it can cover up a more serious problem.
Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

With her not being happy, I get a bit worried on how long something could last, because I don't want a 14 year old uncomfortable. So, a vet visit today may be important for some good therapy.

Possible testing may include a basic blood test, if not done in the past 1 year, and maybe a fecal test as well.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy