Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My Yorkshire of 4 years abt ten pounds ate rather swallow a

My Yorkshire of 4 years abt ten pounds ate rather swallow a flat ice cream plastic spoon 4 weeks ago without chewing it,only today he is vomiting bubbly liquid ,do u believe it is related,we are sure he did not vomit it before nor did it went out with his excrements .many thanks for ur advices

Jack
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question Jack. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Have you been checking his stool consistently for the past 4 weeks?
2- Is he lethargic?
3- How much does he weigh?
4- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We did check his stools all the time as he stays at home and use the same place all the time. ,no he is not lethargic but no more playful and walk slowly stays constantly in his bed,he has the same weight of 5.7 kg,his gum is rather dark
Thank you doctor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I meant he is rather lethargic
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, the plastic is not going to be digested by the body. If you are 100% certain that he did not defecate or vomit the spoon then it is within his gastrointestinal tract. It is very possible the vomiting is the result of inflammation secondary to the spoon. You see, with certain types of foreign body the gastrointestinal can sequester the object and not show any symptoms until months weeks later once there is significant inflammation.
In this case, I would strongly recommend having him checked by family veterinarian for xrays with barium (contrast material) to highlight the intestinal tract as the plastic will not show on plain radiographs. Or, they can do an abdominal ultrasound. Highly recommend having him checked quickly, if related to the spoon this could have very negative consequences if not treated quickly.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter