Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I am the 3rd rescue home for a little bengal cat about 2 yrs

I am the 3rd rescue home for a little bengal cat about 2 yrs old. Very timid and hides a lot, but is gaining confidence with me. There is no way I could catch her and take her to the vet yet.

The previous family had her for 2 months and I have had her for 1month. The whole time she has suffered with diarrhoea & goes frequently. She is eating well but still very skinny.

Previous owner took her to vet & no physical reason found.

I am feeding tuna/chicken & no grain kitten biscuits.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Poor wee Poppy!

Stress is likely part of the basis for her signs and may just be keeping her body from clearing any low grade infectious critter that is giving her GI grief.

In this situation, you will want to approach her diarrhea in a step-by-step manner. To start, since she was found to be without overt signs on examination, consider submitting a fresh fecal sample to your local vet. You can do this even without having Poppy seen. The sample can then be sent to the lab to rule out common infectious parasites (worms but also protozoa like Tritrichomonas, Cryptosporidia, Giardia, and Coccidia), viruses, and bacteria. If the results come back positive, then you will know what needs to be treated and the vet can advise you on doing so effectively.

If the sample comes back clear, then we would all get to breathe a wee sigh of relief and focus on non-infectious conditions. In that case, we would want to consider a diet trial to rule out sensitivities to what she is being fed. Often these need to be performed for 4-6 weeks (to give the protein allergens a chance to leave the gut cells) and fed as the only foodstuff for her. As well, to just firm up her stools, you can try supplementing her diet with fiber. To do so, you can add a spoonful of canned pumpkin or mix in a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil into her meals . This will just help slow GI transit a wee bit, let her body absorb more fluid from the stool, and aid fecal formation.

Furthermore, if you want to ensure stress or illness has not decimated her natural good bacteria microflora of her intestine, I would note that it is worth considering supplementing the microflora to ensure they are not in imbalance post diet change. There are a range of feline probiotics on the market, but the one I often use in patients is Fortiflora (More Info). As well, since the stools are very runny, then you could consider a combination pro/pre-biotic + stool firming agent like that of Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vet practices; example). These could just be used in the short term to settle any imbalance that could be a primary issue or a side effect of any ongoing undiagnosed GI infectious agent.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )