Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

After your reply I saw my vet and my spaniel was given Panacur

After your reply I saw my vet and my spaniel was given Panacur for 3 days. after just one day he was a lot better but after the third dose I found worm eggs on his anus. I have been given more Panacur but haven't yet given the next dose because his appetite is not very good and I don't want to put him off food completely. His faeces are nearly normal colour (slightly orange sometimes) but still not very solid. I have given him probiotics but still haven't any results for the 3 day faecal specimens sent for testing for giardia and culture and sensitivity last Thursday. He was finding it difficult to eat hard food but seems to be improving this week. His rectal temp. is 38.6. My vet seems to think it is possibly malignancy in the small intestine but I would appreciate any other thoughts you may have. He is now bright and alert.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, welcome back. I have a few questions.

1- So, how many doses of the panacur did he get?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sam had 3 days Panacur, last Thursday to Saturday.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Besides the panacur did your vet start him on any other medications?
2- Has he had any xrays, ultrasound or blood work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No other medicines and no x rays,ultrasound or blood. In the morning his stool is fairly solid but in the afternoon is when the stool is soft. He had lost weight before the Panacur but put it back in a couple of days and he is steady at 36lbs.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Jennifer, it is possible there could be something else going on besides parasites as your vet has suggested. The fact that he improved on the panacur we know that parasites were certainly playing a role as well. The orange color feces is seen when the intestines are overactive.
Treating him with panacur will rule out most of the common intestinal parasites that affect dogs. As far as Giardia, it is treated with panacur as well. But, sometimes Giardia is difficult to eliminate. I would discuss with your vet about starting him on a medication called Metronidazole (flagyl), this medication will treat against giardia but, it also has anti inflammatory properties that will help make his stool regular again. If after being on Flagyl for several days you do not see a significant improvement then the next step is doing some testing like blood work and an abdominal ultrasound to take a closer look at the intestinal tract.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.