Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

my 10 month old dog was fine and ate well at 5 p.m. and about

Customer Question

my 10 month old dog was fine and ate well at 5 p.m. and about an hour ago started vomiting, first its food came up an then bile and now its just frothy foam...he is also shaking almost constantly
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to learn Bilbo he is not feeling well. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
2- Any diarrhea?
3- How much does he weigh?
4- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
5- Can you take his rectal temperature?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Dr Peter

I didn't feed him anything different but he may have picked up something in the garden and he and his 'housemate' have had a go at the stair carpet today although our other puppy is fine at the moment.

No diarrhea

He is small about 5kg (Chihuahua x ***** *****)

I def cant take his temperature

his gums look quite pale (at least compared to the other dog although he is a different breed)

and as I speak the other puppy has just thrown up!

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Both dogs are throwing up, correct?
2- How much does the other puppy weigh?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes the second puppy I think ate the first ones first vomit before I could get to him, he is a border terrier (6 months) and weighs probably 8 or 9 kg

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Sue, I am a bit concern if his gums are pale. You see, when the gums become pale it is a sign of either poor circulation, decrease cardiac output, anemia, etc. Having a history of going at the carpet and both dogs vomiting this is highly suggestive of a possible gastrointestinal obstruction secondary to eating the carpet. The shaking is a sign of discomfort and further supports an obstruction.
In this case, I would strongly recommend having Bilbo checked immediately by a veterinarian. We are very limited as to what you can do at home. If it is an obstruction and he is not treated promptly this could have a fatal outcome. For this reason, it is best to not wait and have him checked by a veterinarian immediately for xrays. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. In the meantime, take away the food and water. Follow up with a veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter