Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 6 month old puppy is acting strangely. Quiet, lathargic

Customer Question

My 6 month old puppy is acting strangely. Quiet, lathargic and walking strangely. She's finding it hard to get comfortable
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
4- What breed is she?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Jack Russell cross bichon frise, female, 6 months
She's had a poo that was mostly diarrhoea while I was out and has been like this since we got back at 15:00.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Can you describe what is strange of how she walks?
2- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
3- Can you take her rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She looks like her legs are stiff and is quieter than usual. Can't take her temp but she feels hot. Gums are pink
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Is she eating and drinking?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She hasn't gone to her bowls since we got back so no, I don't think so
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Lindsey, lethargy is a very non-specific symptoms and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect dogs. In a puppy we need to rule out: Infections (fever), ingestion of foreign body, toxicity, etc. the way she is walking is directly related to being ill.
In this case, your puppy will need a hands on examination, blood work (chemistry profile & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on clinical and diagnostic findings. In the meantime, make sure she eats, offer her a bland diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!