Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

For the last four days I have returned from work to between

Customer Question

For the last four days I have returned from work to between two and three lots of vomit. I have not changed his food and he is continuing to eat as normal and is not lethargic. Todays vomit included one with food, others could have too, but I have known him to eat the food once he has been sick so I may not know.

Today, for the first time in thirteen years (never happened before), a solid normal poo was on the rug!

I have spent some time away from home in recent months and have been back a lot more recently, so I thought maybe this has unsettled him. He really does not seem ill other than the signs of vomit, happilly going outside and wanting food.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any other symptoms besides the vomiting?
2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No other symptoms - other than the one poo outside his box today - which looked healthy

He has never been ill, other than occassional hairball/food vomiting and has an annual check up which he passes well - up to date with innocculations too

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, I am sorry for the delay in response. For some reason the question did not come back to me when you responded.
To answer your question, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. It is common when cats are having an underlying medical problem to urinate or defecate out of the litter box.
In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter