Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

We took home a rescue pup (7 mths old) on 19/06. She had a

We took home a rescue pup (7 mths old) on 19/06. She had a sticky eye. We applied warm water on cottonwool at first and changed to boiled water and salt solution after 3 days. Her eye improved and then after a long walk in grass and digging holes in garden has regressed slightly. During the course of this her other eye started to discharge but has now cleared. Yesterday I applied Beaphar lubricant gel and this helped but overnight her eye created mucus again and her inner eyelid remains pink. Today I applied warm saline to clear discharge. Her other eye is now fine. My other dog (8 yrs) however has developed a slight and similar discharge. I have applied saline and it seems clear. Should she now have antibiotic drops?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on your history and the development of signs in your older dog, it does sound like Lola's ocular signs are due to a bacterial conjunctivitis that supportive care alone isn't managing to totally clear (the saline will reduce the bacterial population but its obviously not able to completely do so since she continues to have discharge). Therefore, in this situation, it would be advisable for her to be checked by your family vet at this stage. They can stain the eye to make sure there are no ulcers or lacerations present; and they can dispense treatment to settle her signs.

Just to note, since she came to you with these signs, you might want to check to see if the rescue would prefer you to take her to their vet and if they will cover costs in having her seen.

Overall, your supportive care has been reasonable but if her eyes aren't completely settled (and we are seeing the infection spread to other eyes and your other dog), then antibiotic treatment for the eyes would be indicated to clear this, avoid any complications to her eyes, and just get those eyes settled for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Dr B. We will get her checked over at the vet. The rescue staff said to let her settle into her new home before taking her to vet etc to ease her stress. They also said she had only just developed her sticky eye on the day we picked her up.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

You are very welcome, Camilla.

While that does seem a wee bit coincidental, it is possible that she just had the bad luck of developing a low grade conjunctivitis prior to you rehoming her. And while we often will advise letting them settle before vet visits for things like vaccinations, we'd not necessarily do so with infections (since they will just progress no matter the stress of the vet visit -- especially since she will have had the stress of a whole lifestyle changes as well to cope with). In any case, a full check-up is worthwhile at this point (to make sure there is nothing else amiss), and her vet can address her eye at the same time.

All the best,

Dr. B.