Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Hello, I have a 15 yr old Blue Headed Pionus. Over the last

I have a 15 yr old Blue Headed Pionus.
Over the last couple of weeks he has not been himself.
He keeps shaking his head from side to side and also opening his beak wide while jerking his head back and forth. He also is making a bleating noise, which he hasn't made since being a young bird.
There are protrusions above the eyes, although these could be part of quill.
The bird is eating and drinking as normal and the droppings look OK.
Regards John
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I'm sorry that your bird is feeling this way, what you are describing is very likely a sinus infection. The areas above the eyes you are describing are areas of large sinuses. As this area swells and pressure occurs it makes him feel bad and he'll try to shake his head to clear the discomfort and it will often drain in his throat causing the odd bleating and additional head shaking. What you need to do is to talk to your vet about this and let him or her take a look. If we act quickly then hopefully this can be cured with simple medicine. If we wait too long then sometimes it becomes a permanent problem or requiring surgery to clean the sinuses out. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do from home so a trip to the vet as soon as convenient is the best thing you can do.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks will consult my vet. John
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Good luck to you both!