Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Hi. We have a 6 month old yellow lab who has just done a loose

Hi. We have a 6 month old yellow lab who has just done a loose pooh and there is blood in it. I have got a picture, just not sure if it's something to worry about or if she's eaten something and it's cut her on the way out etc. any advice?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting?
2- Is she lethargic?
3- Any other symptoms?
4- Has she been dewormed?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. No vomiting, perfectly happy in herself, eating and drinking fine. She has not been dewormed however we do have the medicine in to do it.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
What is the name of the dewormer?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Droncit
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Is it plain droncit or droncit plus (see label or ingredients)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It just says droncit on the packet
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, when we see loose stool with blood it means there is inflammation in the large intestines. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, intestinal parasites, etc. to name a few causes. Given her age and lack of other symptoms, I would place intestinal parasites high on the list of possible causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the loose stool with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- No food or water for 8-10 hours, need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Strongly recommend getting her dewormed. I would recommend you buy a dewormer called Panacur (fenbendazole), give it once a day for 3 days at label dose. Repeat after 3 weeks; Panacur will treat against most of the common intestinal parasites that affect dogs. Droncit will only treat tapeworms for this reason I would prefer to use Panacur.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.