Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

14 year old cat very active but I have noticed that he seems

Customer Question

14 year old cat very active but I have noticed that he seems to be swallowing constantly at times ( every 10 - 15 Seconds) - not always. After eating this morning he seemed to be acting as if something was stuck in his throat for a minute or so and then settled. I have seen something similar in my brothers cat which died from liver failure at 16 - could you tell me if this is a sign pls
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Frequent swallowing (as well as excessive licking and salivation) indicates gastrointestinal distress/acid reflux in our pets but not necessarily that which might develop secondary to live failure. Tiger's behavior - particularly at his age - does indicate having a complete physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in an attempt to pinpoint why Tiger is behaving so. His activity is a good prognostic sign, however, and so if something as simple as acid reflux is present, administering an over the counter antacid such as PepcidTwo at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet once daily might suffice.

Less common but an important differential diagnosis is the presence of a neoplasm - benign or malignant in Tiger's oropharynx (back of his throat) or upper gastrointestinal tract - esophagus and stomach, mainly. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you tomorrow for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Tiger, please?