Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog has got dysplasia of both hips. She is on rimadyl tablets

My dog has got dysplasia of both hips. She is on rimadyl tablets which seemed to relieve the problem. Now she has discomfort when stooping to have her bowels open she yells in pain.We have now been given tramadol to help but she is still not free from pain.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Kara and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about Sapphire's continued discomfort due to her hip dysplasia.

Pain and inflammation with hip dysplasia is controlled with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories like Deramaxx, Meloxicam or Rimadyl as well as Tramadol. If that isn't enough we can add other medications such as Amantadine or Gabapentin.

Long term for joint pain I do recommend using a combination of a glucosamine/chondroitin product (examples are Dasuquin or Cosequin) and an omega 3 fatty acid (like 3V Caps or Derm Caps). I recommend an omega 3 fatty acid dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give her 20mg to 40mg of EPA per kilogram of body weight per day. For example a 30 kilogram dog could take 600mg to 1200mg of EPA per day. Omega 3's and glucosamine/chondroitins work synergistically and improve cartilage health and joint fluid quality and quantity as well as reducing inflammation. They can take several weeks to see full improvement but some dogs do very well with them alone. They are available over the counter.
Another option is a product called Duralactin. This is an anti-inflammatory product derived from milk proteins and it also has omega 3 fatty acids incorporated into it which can be very helpful. See this link for further information: http://www.duralactin.com/products_canine.htm

Other options for pain relief are cold laser therapy on her hips, or acupuncture.

She is a bit of an older girl but if we cannot control her pain medically perhaps surgery, at least on one hip would be the next step. Depending upon how much she weighs that could entail a total hip replacement or a salvage procedure called an FHO (femoral head ostectomy) to remove the painful, arthritic femoral head and allow a false joint to form in the hip muscles.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.