Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

my rabbit has alergic reaction

hi, my rabbit has a very bad allergic reactions for a new type of hay. Can the antihistamin help her?

She is shaking, she can hardly breath. Her eyes are red and swollen. White fluid comes from her nose. She doesn't move or eat. Can we give something her what could help?

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

It is possible that an antihistamine might help her it is certainly worth a try. I am concerned however that with the white discharge from her nose and the fact she does not want to eat that this is actually a respiratory infection instead of an allergy. A respiratory infection needs antibiotics from the vet not antihistamines but until you get to the vet you can try an antihistamine. Give her benadyrl (diphenhydramine) 2 milligrams per kilogram of body weight up to three times a day. If she is not improving within 12-24 hours then she must be evaluated for an infection by the vet.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan