Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

do dogs when they get old tend to shut down and die. my 14

do dogs when they get old tend to shut down and die. my 14 year old cairn is getting very unsteady does not wont much to eat and she has dark patches on her tummy and under her arms. but she is still clean. any ideas?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- How long has she had skin problems?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1about 5 weeks

2 some vomiting if she eats to much

3 she has a history but about this

4 about the last 3 weeks

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
D riley, dogs become lethargic for many reasons. If she is unsteady, given her age it is very possible this could be related to something like arthritis. Certainly, there could be other systemic causes like kidney or liver disease, etc. This does not necessarily mean she is shuting down and dying, but, she does not feel well. If related to arthritis once she is started on medication she will feel much better and be willing to eat and be more active.
As far as the skin, there could be many possible causes: Common causes are: Infections, allergies, hormonal disorders, etc. to name a few causes.
In this case, the first place to start would be a hands on examination with family veterinarian and some testing. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime offer a bland diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter