Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my ii month old female kitten has started dribbling a lot.

my ii month old female kitten has started dribbling a lot. she has been out all day and seemed quite happy. anything I should do apart from take her to the vet tomorrow or the next day if it persists.
Liz Hall
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Kara and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about Rosie. I have a few questions for you.

When you say dribbling do you mean that she is drooling excessively?
Is she doing anything else strange, like pawing at her mouth or trying to vomit?
Any facial swelling or difficulty breathing?
Is she uncoordinated in her movements or does she seem normal?
Has she eaten or drank anything since she came in?

Thanks for you patience with my questions. I'll write a full response once I've read your answers.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she hasn't eaten or drunk much since coming in but she was v tired as she stayed out for ages - quite happily and brought her first bird in today - dead. she was in and out snacking as she went. slight sign of running from me which is a sure sign she is poorly - she has done this before with a grass seed in her conjunctiva - but otherwise she has played with flies and her brother as normal. just noticed the dribbling when she came in - I cant see anything in her mouth and she hasn't vomited. she is not uncoordinated at all - there are no signs of breathing difficulties or facial swelling. I don't use poisons in the garden but she could have eaten something unknown to me. but her diet today has consisted of insects and cat biscuits

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she is dribbling a lot - her fur is wet where she has rested her head while sleeping - no obvious signs of pain

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Drooling can be a sign of nausea but it can also be a sign of oral pain due to a loose or an infected tooth or a foreign body caught between her teeth, on the roof of her mouth or in the back of her throat.

It can also be due to a nerve problem that is making it difficult for her to control her tongue or close her mouth properly. Since she seems happy and has at least eaten a little it is likely she does not have any trouble with closing or using her mouth and tongue properly.

Finally it can also be a response to eating a bitter bug or plant piece. If it comes along with facial swelling or hives it could be related to an allergic reaction. Since she is breathing fine with no facial swelling an allergic reaction seems unlikely.

Since she is coordinated at least a neurotoxin like pyrethrin poisoning (common insecticide) seems less likely.

I do recommend rinsing out her mouth with cool water several times.
If she will let you examine inside her mouth for swelling, reddened areas or any sign or trauma or a foreign body.

If she is able to drink normally I am less concerned and chances are her symptoms are related to slight nausea, a bad taste in her mouth or a foreign body stuck somewhere. Make sure to peek under her tongue.
In case this is related to nausea you can give her an acid reducer to try and settle her stomach. Either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 2 to 5 kilograms of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 2 to 5 kilograms of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. These are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

If that goes well then start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) and 2/3 boiled rice. Add low salt chicken broth just in case she has an irritation somewhere you cannot see that is making her drool. Give small meals several times a day. Feed the bland diet for several days, then start mixing in her regular diet and slowly convert her back.

If she is attempting to vomit,or is unable to lick or swallow properly then I recommend she see a veterinarian today.
This may all clear by tomorrow and given her happy attitude I wouldn't be too concerned unless something changes with her.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thankyou

Liz

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome. Please let me know how things go for your little one or if you have any further questions, Dr. Kara.