Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

My 3 month old Wheaten terrier has been very sick over a few

Customer Question

My 3 month old Wheaten terrier has been very sick over a few hours. He eats leaves, bulbs, and anything else he can swallow. He also licks stones for hours. He doesn't seem to want his dried food even if I mix with a little warm water. Can you advise?
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'm here to help you. I'm so sorry to hear about Rupert's illness. You are right in that puppies can eat all sorts of things. We call this garbage enteritis. They can also of course be sick with viral illnesses and bacterial illnesses, as well as other organ disease that can lead to vomiting.

Dr. Barbara :

My concern is that he is a very small dog still at 3 months and will become quite dehydrated and his electrolytes will become unbalanced quickly. Is Rupert able to drink water without vomiting?

Customer:

Yes he drinks a lot of water

Dr. Barbara :

Regardless of the cause of his vomiting, these issues are a concern tonight!

Dr. Barbara :

Thanks! Does he vomit this. . .does he do any vomiting within 30 minutes of drinking water?

Customer:

No

Dr. Barbara :

This is really a great sign! When was the last time he vomited?

Customer:

During the night, we found it on waking

Dr. Barbara :

Great. . .so no vomiting all day, he is drinking water, but not interested in eating his regular food, even mixed with water. . .correct?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Barbara :

Thanks. . .excellent! What is the color of his gums? Are they moist and pink and when you push on them and they blanch, does their color return in 2 seconds or less?

Dr. Barbara :

I'm wondering if he is anemic since he licks stones.

Customer:

His gums are pink but he is nipping at the moment so not easy to check blanching

Dr. Barbara :

Pink is good! Nipping is good. . .he sounds active!

Customer:

What food would you advise me to give him as he seems disinterested in the Arden dried food. I have tried other dried food which he was also not keen on.

Dr. Barbara :

Not eating for today is OK, and in fact is one treatment for controlling vomiting. The fact that he can drink water without vomiting and that his gums are pink are also very good signs that he is stable.

Customer:

OK thank you

Dr. Barbara :

I'd offer him boiled white rice mixed 60/40 with cooked skinless chicken, cooked ground beef, low fat cottage cheese, or baby food meat (without garlic or onions). Just offer him about 1 Tbs. (15 ml) at first and if he keeps that down you could offer him another in 1 hour.

Hi Jane,
Thank you for your very kind rating. . .greatly appreciated.
I hope that Rupert continues to improve with a bland food diet, and that all is well on Monday.
There is no more charge to you on this thread for a few days, so if you have any more concerns or questions, just please let me know.
I'll also be putting you in for a free follow up on Rupert in a few days, just to see how he is doing.
Thank you for trusting us, and take care.
Dr. Barbara
Hi Jane,
Just checking in to see how Rupert is doing.
Eager to hear from you,
Dr. Barbara