Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I am thinking of having my spayed using the keyhole method. I

I am thinking of having my bitch spayed using the keyhole method.
I have only seen advantages from vets but surely there must be disadvantages as well one that spring to mind is Pyometra.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now laparoscopic spays are quite a good method of spaying dogs and as you noted there are a lot of positive reasons for going down this route when having a dog spayed. In regards ***** ***** disadvantages to this procedure, the main one would be that if there was a complication during surgery (which is rare), the surgeon may have to open the dog in the traditional manner to address whatever complication may have arisen. Otherwise, other disadvantages would be the same as if a dog was spayed in the traditional manner.

In regards ***** ***** concerns regarding pyometras in the retained uterus, this would not be an expected issue. The reason is because pyometras are partially due to hormonal inputs (which would not longer be present since the ovaries would have been removed) and partially due to a dog having dilated her cervix during her season (which she won't have had if she had been spayed laparoscopically) allowing bacterial infiltration. So, if a dog no longer has a hormonally driven season, she won't dilate her cervix and therefore no bacteria would be able to gain access to the uterus. Therefore, the organ could not become infected and a pyometra would not result. So, leaving a uterus present will not predispose her to this type of issue and realistically the uterus would just be present in the body with no actual function (akin to our appendix).

Overall, there are a lot of positives for this surgical approach but at the end of the day it is just another means of spaying. Therefore, any disadvantages are those that we would see with any means of neutering. And the only ones specific to this surgical approach would be those related to complications when the procedure is carried out (which would then lead the surgeons to opening her as a traditional spay should such an issue occur).

I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the detailed answer.

Just to clarify the pyometra question, my bitch has already had 3 seasons with the last one just finishing.

I am assuming then if there is a bacterial infection it would happen quite quickly after a season and therefore when she is spayed in 3-4 months time the uterus would not be infected.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome, Sue.

As you have noted, by 3-4 months post season, we wouldn't expect any infection lurking or pyometra. It isn't an instant infection as you noted; but if we are going to see one they tend to be ~4-6 weeks post season.

All the best,
Dr. B.